Faithful Through the Generations

From a gathering in a pastorium to decades of worship, discipleship, missions, and community ministry, God has faithfully guided Calvary Baptist Church.

Founded April 25, 1943
Approximately 111 Founding Members
Established on 1 Corinthians 13
Our Mission

Learning That Leads to Living

 

“Our mission is to be a fellowship of maturing Christians whose learning results in witnessing and ministering to the world around us through the love and power of God’s Spirit.”

1943

Calvary Is Organized

A congregation formed in faith and held its first worship service that same evening.

1954

Sanctuary Completed

Years of sacrifice and service led from tent worship to a completed sanctuary.

1971

Children’s Ministry Expands

Calvary Kindergarten and Daycare began serving families across the Shoals.

A Timeline of Faithfulness

Our Church History

Open each chapter to read how God worked through faithful pastors, members, ministries, and generations of the Calvary family.

1943–1955
A Church Is Born

On April 25, 1943, in the midst of World War II, Calvary Baptist Church was organized in Tuscumbia. Pastor Luther Gaines resigned from First Baptist Church of Tuscumbia on Easter Sunday morning, and approximately 111 members followed him to the pastorium, where the new church was formed.

The first deacons were William T. Edwards, chairman; A. L. Gurley; W. A. Styles; Joe Johnson; J. O. Blake; and Fred Tucker, who also became the first secretary and treasurer. Grounded in 1 Corinthians 13, the congregation dedicated the new church to the glory of God and held its first worship service that night.

The William Counts family allowed the congregation to erect a tent at North Commons and Water Street. Members built a platform, pulpit, and benches from rough lumber and spread sawdust on the ground. Estelle Gaines, the pastor’s wife, served as pianist, and Hovie Grissom led the singing. Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening services were held regularly.

Following Bro. Gaines’s radio broadcast, Voice of Calvary, John Counts donated property at North Commons and Main rather than selling it to the Gulf Oil Company. His brother Price donated the adjoining lot. Those transactions took place in July 1943.

After receiving permission from the War Production Board and other agencies, the church built basement walls and placed a large tent over them. The wooden pews were moved from the original tent, and Bro. Gaines served as janitor, building a fire in a potbellied stove to warm the gathering place.

Bro. Gaines dreamed that Calvary would be “a country church in town,” where a man in overalls and a woman in a print dress would feel as welcome as anyone else.

In 1944, Calvary was accepted into the ColbertLauderdale Baptist Association. Associational records listed the pastor’s salary as $2,500, total membership as 392, and Sunday School enrollment as 246.

Architect Howard Griffith was hired to design the sanctuary. The basement was completed first, and worship services began there before a temporary roof was installed. The sanctuary was completed in 1954. Bro. Gaines resigned in October 1955 because of ill health and died in Florida in October 1964.

1955–1968
Growth, Education, and Doctrine

Ralph Bone was called as pastor in October 1955. During his eight years of ministry, the education building was completed with church members working on weekends and after work. The church also hired a secretary, choir director, and nursery worker.

In 1959, Calvary averaged 359 in Sunday School—the largest average Sunday School attendance recorded in the church’s history. Bro. Bone resigned in August 1963 to enter another field of service and died in 1992.

Lynwood Henderson served as the third pastor from December 1963 through February 1968. During his pastorate, a division occurred and approximately nineteen families left the church. Although his ministry at Calvary was relatively brief, he helped establish a strong sense of Southern Baptist doctrine among the membership.

1968–1981
Expansion, Children, and Youth

E. G. Pounders was called as pastor in February 1968. During his ministry, membership and the budget increased, extensive remodeling was completed, and additional property was purchased. The Activities Building was constructed with two Sunday School departments, church offices, a kitchen, and a basketball court.

The Calvary Kindergarten and Daycare was established in September 1971 under the direction of Dorothy Hill. It was the first licensed daycare and kindergarten in Colbert and Lauderdale counties. Now known as Calvary Learning Center, it continues serving area families with loving, nurturing care in a Christian environment.

The church constitution and bylaws were also written during Bro. Pounders’s pastorate. He resigned in January 1974.

James Mangum became pastor in July 1974 and served until February 1977. The church purchased a pastorium in Colonial Heights, renovated the basement, and added bathrooms. After suffering a serious heart attack, Bro. Mangum was unable to preach for three months but returned to the pulpit in August 1975.

Norman Simmons served from June 1977 through September 1981. A stair glide was installed on the south stairway, the prayer room was furnished, and a strong youth ministry developed. Youth mission experiences included a trip to Peoria, Illinois, where Backyard Bible Classes were held.

1982–1997
Evangelism and Renewal

Phil Newton became pastor in February 1982 and served until September 1986. The church office was remodeled, the prayer room was redecorated, a van ministry began, and new hymnals were purchased.

Beginning in January 1983, the church renewed its focus on outreach evangelism through Evangelism Explosion, and many people came to know Christ. Sunday School attendance remained near 185 during the first three years, then grew to an enrollment of 419 with an attendance of 219.

Larry Smart served as pastor from July 1987 through December 1997. An entrance ramp was constructed for wheelchair access and funeral use, and a tape ministry began serving shutins.

In 1989, Calvary launched a longrange renovation program called Touch the Future. The sanctuary, foyer, and educational building were redecorated; new carpeting was installed throughout the facility; and new choir chairs and robes were purchased. A later phase included repainting, reflooring, and purchasing equipment for the Activities Building.

1997–2010
Ministry in a New Century

Bob Wood became pastor in December 1997 and was dearly loved by the congregation. He died in an automobile accident on October 11, 1998.

Gatus Cheatham became Calvary’s tenth pastor in May 1999. During his ministry, the pulpit area was remodeled and redecorated, the sanctuary was repainted, projection screens were added, and the third floor was refurbished. The church purchased three additional lots on Main Street and a church bus.

As attendance grew, Calvary began offering two Sunday morning worship services. AWANA and Upward Sports were added as new ways to reach children and families in the community. Bro. Cheatham served through October 2004.

Mike Colston began serving as pastor in July 2005. His ministry emphasized community outreach through block parties and school-supply giveaways. The Upward ministry participated in mission trips to Cleveland, Baltimore, and Jacksonville. Calvary partnered with First United Methodist Church of Tuscumbia to offer Upward Basketball and Cheerleading, and the church established a women’s ministry. Bro. Colston served through June 2010.

2010–Present
Continuing the Mission

Following the ministry of Bro. Mike Colston, Bro. Darrell Pace later served as pastor of Calvary Baptist Church. His service concluded in July 2022.

Dr. Davy Kincaid began serving as pastor in July 2023 and continues to lead Calvary today. The church remains committed to gathering around Christ, growing together as one body, and going into the community and beyond with the gospel.

Remembering God’s Faithfulness

Calvary Through the Years

Gallery
Servants Who Led

Pastoral Leadership

We are grateful for the pastors whose preaching, leadership, and service have shaped Calvary’s ministry through the generations.

The Story Continues

Faithful to God’s Assignment

God has blessed Calvary with a strong fellowship of believers, a heart for service, and the conviction that God can do anything. As we walk in obedience to His Word, we trust Him to guide the Calvary family into the future.

PLAN YOUR VISIT
WHAT WE BELIEVE
CONTACT US